Servant of the society
Using posters / banners for the dissemination of information has been a normal practice from the time immemorial. Citizens are neither aware of the fact that they are defacing a property / site nor that defacing a property has become illegal now. There has never been any effort to remove the existing posters / banners. Hence, it has become an accepted norm to put up posters / banners for advertisement of products / services / functions etc.
There is a need to make the citizens aware of all aspects of this menace.
As per the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act, 2007,
“Sticking of posters, banners, wall-writings on the properties in public view, is a violation of the provisions of Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act, 2007 (which has come into force w.e.f. 01.03.2009) and is a cognizable offence.”
The penalty under this act is up to Rs 50,000, or jail up to one year or both.
There are more than a crore posters / banners all over Delhi. If removal of one poster / banner takes about 5 minutes, it requires approximately 1 lakh man days of 8 hours. Govt as well as private agencies do not have such resources.
But, if 1 crore residents of Delhi help to remove at least 1 poster each, Delhi shall be cleaned in 5 minutes.
Following actions are suggested to eradicate this menace:
FOR GENERAL AWARENESS
1. Display the Logo, “ REMOVE POSTERS” on your vehicles.
2. Please motivate and involve your plumber, electrician, carpenter, painter, mechanic, maids, Safaikaramcharies, security guards and all such helps.
REMOVAL OF THE EXISTING POSTERS / BANNERS
1. MCD had made 4 special efforts in all the 12 Zones to remove the posters and banners on 24 Aug, 15 Sep, 21 Oct and 2 Dec 2009. MCD is now making continuous efforts since then. I was with one team for over 2 hours and we could partially clean one market road in Malviya Nagar.
2. This is a Herculean task.
3. If all the citizens remove posters in their area as a SHRAM DAAN, the city shall get cleaned automatically.
ACTION AGAINST NEW POSTERS
1. As most of the posters and banners are put up at night, the Police beat constables and PCR van staff should be on the look out for such persons. This will also help the police to enhance security of Delhi. I have already suggested this to the Commissioner of Police who, in turn, has issued suitable instructions to all concerned.
2. Almost all of Delhi is also covered by the private security guards either by RWAs, MTAs, or owners. If these security guards are also motivated towards this activity, this will ensure that no new posters / banners are put up. I have already circulated this to RWAs, MTAs etc under the BHAGIDARI network.
3. Most of the Mobile phones have a camera. Citizens should take a photo of the NEW poster and send it to the DCP of the area, with a copy to me for follow up. Email IDs of DCPs are available on police web site www.delhipolice.nic.in .
4. An action against any defaulter ( including a murderer ) can be initiated only after a FIR is lodged with the Police. Due to prolonged court cases, no one is prepared to file a FIR in the case of Posters / Banners. Hence the defaulters get away.
QUOTES FROM GOVT LEADERS
Home Minister Hon’ble Shri P. Chidambaram.
” The behaviour of Delhiites must be changed for them to play good hosts”
Lt Governor of Delhi.
” Govt cannot keep the city clean without the help of the citizens ”
CM of Delhi has sent an appeal in the Bhagidari News letter about this..
This will also save a lot of paper and thus trees.
THIS IS A CONTINUOUS PROCESS TILL WE ARE SUCCESSFUL IN SPREADING THIS MESSAGE TO EVERY CITIZEN OF DELHI.
” ANDHERE PER KYUN JHALLAYAIN, ACHHA HO AIK DEEP JALAYAIN.” Poet Niraj
Ek Deep Doosra Jalaye, aise anginat honvain.
Get more examples/ inspiring stories, how to organise this in your locality, plan – strategy – implemention all support/ guidance, please contact – Col Shivraj – 9810433842