HOUSE SPARROW CONSERVATION INITIATIVE
Venue: Society Lawns (Near flag post),
Bird lovers of the Society have planned to undertake the following:
* Bring awareness on House Sparrow (Govt. of Delhi declared it as the State Bird of Delhi in August 2012) particularly in children.
* Visit a “Sparrow Chowk” and silently observe them (identification / familiarization)
* Drawing / painting the picture of Sparrow (Details will be announced during the event). This is a home work – not required to be done during the event.
* Introduction to nest-boxes (15 bird-houses will be fixed on the Society’s compound)
* Singing songs on Sparrows by residents and children
* Guided tour and fixation of nest-boxes on the Society’s Compound
Dr. Arun Mohanty, President, Vikram Nagar CGHS Ltd
Mr. Akhilesh Kumar Pandey, City Plus (Dwarka) –spotted weaver bird Baya in 2011 in Dwarka
Mr. Ramesh Chand, Freelance Journalist & Nature Photographer
Mr. Sanjay Sagar, Vice President, Vikram Nagar CGHS Ltd
All residents are welcome. Parents are particularly advised to send their children to take active part in this initiative. Children will be taken in cars to the near-by “sparrow chowk” at 9.15 am and will return to the Society by 9.50 am to take part in the above program.
Please note: This is purely a voluntary initiative by bird lovers of the Society. We want to follow low-cost (or zero-cost) approach to organise this event by following simple acts. We appreciate your enthusiasm and spirit.
Facilitator: T. Sampath Kumar, D-202 (Tel No: 28031379)
I attended the World Sparrow Day (March 20th) celebrations at the Delhi’s CM’s residence in which about 200 children participated from Delhi. I read one song written by me in Hindi on house sparrow during the event – see attached picture. Residents from our society will be singing two songs during the event on Sunday. – Dr. T. Sampath Kumar