Vedas International School
Raising a happy, healthy child is one of the most challenging task a parent can have – and also one of the most rewarding. There is no well defined definition of raising children, a few suggestions could go a long way in ensuring the standard rule for children. Different children may need different levels of attention, expression of love and toughness.
1. You should not try to consider your child an investment of your future. In fact you should just see how to enjoy, nurture and support him. Let him become what he wants to become. You should not try to mould your child according to your understanding of life.
2. You should not spoil your child with too much of pampering. It is usually the consequence of giving a child things in place of love – things like leniency, lowered expectations or material possessions.
3. You should be involved in your child s life which means you will have to rethink and rearrange your priorities. You will have to be with him mentally as well as physically. Being involved does not mean doing your child s homework.
If you are doing your child s homework or correcting it then you are not letting the teacher know what the child is learning.
3. You should set limits which would help your child develop a sense of self – control and self – direction. You should establish and set rules and it should not vary from day-to-day in an unpredictable manner.
4. The most important disciplinary tool is consistency. You should never hit your child, those who are spanked, hit or slapped are more prone to fighting with other children. Best way to be firm with your child or give him ‘time out’ which work better and do not involve aggression.
5. The best way to get respect from your child is to treat him respectfully. If you are genuinely interested in giving your child a good upbringing then you should first transform yourself into a peaceful and loving human being.
6. You should model a healthy lifestyle and good habits such as regular exercise and proper nutrition in front of your child.
7. You should support spiritual or religious development and participate in spiritual or religious activities so that your child will also automatically have the same inclination.
8. You should take precautions to protect your child and maintain awareness of the child s activities and friends.
9. You should maintain a healthy relationship with your spouse.
10. Most importantly you should keep a minimal use of mobile phone in front of your child.
These 10 good parenting skills would help parents to see their child blossom.