Motivation is the characteristic that helps you achieve your goal. It is the drive that pushes you to work hard and reach whatever it is that you are after. It is the energy that gives you the strength to get up and keep going – even when things are not going your way.
Motivation can be intrinsic or extrinsic (internal and external) – With extrinsic motivation, you are motivated by rewards from an external source – you will be inspired by the recognition that you will get from external sources. Intrinsic motivation is something internal – you are motivated to reach your goal for your own internal benefits – Example – reading a book so that you can get the grade you are after versus reading a book so that you can learn something.
Intrinsic motivation is better than extrinsic motivation. But for many finding intrinsic motivation is not easy – it has to come from inside out. But once you get it, intrinsic motivation is much more powerful than the extrinsic.
Positive Motivation is where the focus is on what you want to achieve. You know where you’re going. It is the result of positive thinking and will cause a sustained progress towards your goal. Holding the image of your goal in your thoughts will attract the inspiration needed to get you there. Its effect is strong and consistent and the results achieved are prolonged and steady.
Negative Motivation can best be described as wanting to get away from an existing condition. A good example is someone that has grown up in poverty and will do anything to not fall into it again. This is a strong motivation and can be an effective “Kick Start” but the results it achieves are markedly different from those of Positive Motivation. The effect can often be likened to a roller coaster ride. A classic example is the countless millionaires who make their fortunes and lose them time and time again. This type of motivation lacks the sustained results that come from Positive Motivation.
Self-motivation is a continuing process and the only way we become better and stronger is to create a few mistakes along the way and also face a few setbacks. In essence, you must take a specific sum of risk because it is the fantastic occasions and the bad that forces us to a better person.
The thing with us Personal Development types is, we’re always talking about creating our best life.
We know that success is represented by different things for different people, but society teaches us that success is typically about money, position, attractiveness, power and influence There is are actually three effective ways on how you can easily motivate yourself and get things done easily.
First thing to remember, it is important to stay focused. Keep focused not on your things that you are facing with, but focus on the reward of that task once it has already been completed. Now, wouldn’t that be much better if we know there is something waiting for us after completing that task? That is a pretty good motivation to think of. Keep your attention on your work and on your work alone – through this it will further help you to motivate yourself in completing the work rather than saving it for later.
Secondly, make sure that it is clear to you why you wanted to finish those things done. Preserve a clear vision of what you want. Visualize your wanted output and keep that in mind not until you are not yet done with the work. It is important that you are clear with the reason and you will simply get the motivation that you need.
And lastly, establish a daily habit in completing the things that needs to be done. Do the important tasks during a particular time every day. Make sure that you would only do important tasks during that time that you have set. Discipline yourself to follow to your own schedule, as motivation itself would always come with self-discipline below are great self motivation tips that are sure to help you become more active and productive every day.
Tips for Motivation
· Know what you want to do and what you want to achieve, be it a long-term or a short-term goal. Make sure they are achievable. Write them down and post it on your wall where you can see it every morning. Make it a habit to read them out loud. Visualize them and share them with your friends.
· Get yourself an accountability partner / coach.
· Share your dreams, plans and goals with your coach, create a realistic action plan and then get busy.
· Create a to-do list and do the stuff you’ve been avoiding, first.
· Consciously avoid making excuses.
When you feel an excuse climbing up onto your tongue… give yourself an uppercut.
· Have something to look forward to when you wake up each morning. Think of the happy and good things that are going to happen on that day. Doing this will surely set your mood and mindset for the rest of the day.
· Discover the best way to motivate yourself. Different people have different personalities and preferences. You just have to experiment and find out what gets you into action. You can get out and breathe some fresh air. You can play your favourite music as you do your early morning routine. You can think of a person that inspires you the most or probably a movie you have seen.
· Think less, do more.
Thinking and planning is great… but we should not over-think.
· Before going to bed, think of the great things that happened during the day. Never ponder on bad things as these will only keep you awake the whole night. Good sleep leads to good outlook the following morning. It will also keep you from waking up in a bad mood.
· Stop looking for easy and start doing effective.
· Visualize the result once the job is done. Just imagine the wonderful feeling you will have once your goals are achieved. Push yourself harder and focus on the positive results of what you are trying to reach. Nothing can beat the feeling of pride, satisfaction, and relief
Remember… if nothing changes (attitudes, decisions, behaviours), nothing changes (reality).