Dr. K.K. Aggarwal
Padma Shri and Dr B C Roy National Awardee
and President Heart Care Foundation of India.
A PIL alleged that synthetic and adulterated milk and milk products are prepared using urea, detergent, refined oil, caustic soda and white paint which, according to studies, are “very hazardous” to human life and can cause serious diseases like cancer.
The health answer is to shift to soya milk, During festive season, especially Diwali as non adulterated milk is often used to prepare sweets it is impossible to get pure milk to drink. Atleast during these days it is safe to shift to soya milk.
Some facts about soya milk
1, Soy milk (also called soya milk, soymilk, soybean milk, or soy bean juice and sometimes referred to as soy drink/beverage) is a beverage made from soybeans.
2. It is produced by soaking dry soybeans and grinding them with water.
3. Soy milk contains about the same proportion of protein as cow’s milk: around 3.5%; also 2% fat, 2.9% carbohydrate, and 0.5% ash.
4. Soy milk can be made at home.
4. The coagulated protein from soy milk can be made into tofu, just as dairy milk can be made into cheese.
5. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers soy milk a suitable alternative for children who cannot tolerate human or cow’s milk, or whose parents opt for a vegan diet.
6. It is associated with a reduction in low-density lipoprotein (“bad cholesterol”) and triglycerides.
7. It is good for women undergoing menopause.
8. Soy affects bone mineral density.
9. Gout sufferers limit consumption of soy products.
10. It is good for the health of the thyroid gland.